This course is ideal if you want to follow a career in sports coaching or work in the leisure industry. The course allows you to develop the knowledge and practical skills you require to lead sports activities. Each week youll spend three days in college and two half days in the workplace - putting your leadership skills into practice. You will need good communication skills an interest in working with children be physically fit and show an enthusiasm for all activities.
- This course focuses on leading sports and physical activities sports officiating coaching experience child protection and participation in games and sports such as;
- Mini Tennis
- The course also incorporates the Level 2 award in Community Sports Leadership emergency first aid survive and save resistance training human physiology and health and wellbeing.
- You may also have the opportunity to complete entry level coaching awards in Hockey and Handball.
- Where appropriate you will study essential skills such as;
- working with others
- problem solving.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Course assessment will include written tests group exercises and practical exercises.
- Assessment is continuous throughout this course and youll put together practical and written evidence of the skills you learn in the form of a portfolio.
Number of Days per week:
- Candidates would ideally have 3 passes at National 4 in relevant subject areas, English and/or a science subject would be advantageous.
- Appropriate experience would be helpful either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry.
- You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family.
- In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment in positions such as;
- an activity leader in sport and recreation
- leisure assistant
- assistant coach
- after school club leader.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in sport and physical activities therefore it will include a practical element.
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in sport and physical activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path.
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in sport and physical activities such as:
- NPA in Sports Development
- HNC/D in Coaching and Developing Sport
n she was accepted on the SWAP Access to Humanities course.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here