If you`re looking to work in the sport and fitness industry this course is for you. You might be a school leaver or an adult seeking to return to education. Perhaps you are already working in the leisure industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or perhaps you are ready for a career change. In year one (HNC) you`ll develop an in-depth understanding of both the theoretical and practical issues relating to the industry covering a wide range of units from anatomy and exercise physiology to teaching gym and exercise to music.
The course provides you with a specialist vocational programme with links to National Occupational Standards and related professional bodies. You may also be presented with opportunities to gain valuable experience working with local partner groups across a range of population profiles. In addition to the group award, you may also achieve vocationally relevant qualifications at REPs level 2 or higher offering direct employment opportunities. If successful you may progress onto year two of the HND programme or potentially exit with an HNC qualification.
The second year of the HND in Fitness Health and Exercise course aims to help you develop your personal learning skills and ability to work independently. Many of the units look at the practical application of the material covered in the first year with special population groups. You will also study topics such as; current exercise trends strength and conditioning and setting up your own business.
The course continues to provide you with a specialist vocational programme with links to National Occupational Standards and related professional bodies. It is hoped that you would continue working with local partner groups across a range of population profiles and in addition to the group award the opportunity to achieve vocationally relevant qualifications at REPs level 3 may be presented.
- How to work with a range of population groups in sport physical activity and health improvement settings
- How to develop your own practical skills and techniques in structured sessions.
- How to plan prepare and carry out fitness training programmes.
- An understanding of sport and exercise nutrition.
- Research and reporting skills.
In year two you will advance your study of fitness health and exercise activities in a variety of ways such as:
- Increasing your awareness of the interdisciplinary nature of fitness and health.
- Developing your skills in exercise application and leadership and your understanding of the role and impact of fitness health and exercise in contemporary society.
- Recognising and applying the need to involve participants fully in their own personal fitness and health improvement
- You may also have the opportunity to incorporate a level 3 Personal training Award into the two year programme. Achieving this award will allow you to apply for REPs level 3 accreditation.
How Course Is Assessed:
- You will be assessed on an on-going basis in both practical and theoretical settings. This will include class based assessment practical observations report writing presentations and assignment tasks.
Number of Days per week:
- Two higher passes in relevant subjects at B and C are required.
- Other qualifications such as relevant National Progression Awards at SCQF level 6 or equivalent and the BTEC 3 Diploma or Subsidiary Diploma in Sport will be considered.
- You may be a candidate who comes from a non-traditional route such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability. You may be expected to submit a brief written assignment or essay before interview to provide some indication of academic standing and communication skills.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry requirements in 2018.
- You should currently be participating regularly in exercise and fitness activities.
- Being able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness. The interview session will include practical elements based on current exercise themes written work on your knowledge of exercise and fitness and a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Although not an exhaustive list a wide scope of employment opportunities relating to fitness health and exercise could be accessed in establishments such as: Private health and fitness clubs. Local authority sports centres and fitness clubs. Hotels and conference centres with fitness facilities. Sports clubs with a need for a fitness professional to support training. You may also have the opportunity to start your own fitness health and exercise business.
Download our progression route map here
- From HND year one you could progress on to HND year two or: Access a range of Degree level courses at Universities across Scotland (entry point at year one or two) in relevant subject areas such as Sport and Exercise Science Sports Studies Physical Education or Physical Activity and Health related studies. From HND year two it may be possible to access a similar range of related Degree level courses at year 2 or 3 of their programmes. Examples of which could include: Year 2 of BSc (Hons) Sports Studies at University of Stirling upon successful completion of the HND. Year 3 of a range of BSc (Hons) sport and exercise science degrees at Edinburgh Napier University.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...