If you`re looking to work in the Exercise and Fitness industry this course is for you. You might be a school leaver or an adult seeking to return to education. Perhaps you are already working in the industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or perhaps you are ready for a career change.
On the HNC you`ll develop an in-depth understanding of both the theoretical and practical issues relating to the industry covering a wide range of units from anatomy and exercise physiology to teaching gym and group-based exercise. The course provides you with a specialist vocational programme with links to National Occupational Standards and related professional bodies.
You may also be presented with opportunities to gain valuable experience working with local partner groups across a range of population profiles. In addition to the group award opportunities to achieve vocationally relevant qualifications at REPs, level 2 or higher may become available offering direct employment routes.
- How to work with a range of population groups in exercise physical activity and health improvement settings
- How to develop your own practical skills and techniques in structured sessions
- How to plan prepare and carry out fitness training programmes
- An understanding of sport and exercise nutrition
- Research and reporting skills
How Course Is Assessed:
- You will be assessed on an on-going basis in both practical and theoretical settings. This will include class-based assessment practical observations report writing presentations and assignment tasks.
Number of Days per week:
- Two higher passes in relevant subjects at B and C are required
- Other qualifications such as relevant National Progression Awards at SCQF level 6 or equivalent and the BTEC 3 Diploma or Subsidiary Diploma in Sport will be considered
- You may be a candidate who comes from a non-traditional route such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- You may be expected to submit a brief written assignment or essay before an interview to provide some indication of academic standing and communication skills.
- Although not an exhaustive list, a wide scope of employment opportunities relating to fitness health and exercise could be accessed in establishments such as private health and fitness clubs, local authority sports centres and fitness clubs, hotels and conference centres with fitness facilities, Sports clubs with a need for a fitness professional to support training
- You may also have the opportunity to start your own fitness health and exercise business.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At the interview, you will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness. The interview session will include practical elements based on current exercise themes group discussion and a short presentation by you on a relevant topic provided.
Download our progression route map here
- From the HNC you could progress on to HND year two or: Access a range of Degree level courses at Universities across Scotland (entry point at year one or two) in relevant subject areas such as BSc (Hons) Physical Activity Health and Wellbeing Sport and Exercise Science or Nutrition
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £103 Sighthill I (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on... br >