This course is designed to prepare you for employment in the Exercsie and Fitness Industry. You’ll gain nationally recognised qualifications in Gym Instructing Exercise to Music and Circuit Training. You’ll work with your peer group and partners in each discipline to develop the practical skills you need to become a Fitness Instructor. You’ll learn about anatomy physiology and nutrition to support these skills. You’ll have to be reasonably fit and have good interpersonal skills and whilst not as academically demanding as an HNC course it is still intensive. You will find it demanding physically and you’ll be required to participate fully in all classes.
This course may appeal to you if you are a school leaver an adult seeking to return to education already working in the leisure industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or perhaps you are ready for a career change. You’ll be prepared for employment as well as potential progression onto the HNC/D Fitness Health and exercise course
Develop a wide portfolio of skills helping you to access jobs within the leisure industry or progress onto further study
- Instructional skills
- Exercise physiology
- Introductory exercise programming
- Nutrition planning and teaching
- Gym and exercise classes
There may also be an opportunity to sit a Lifegaurding qualification (additional costs may be involved). Where appropriate you may study essential skills such as; communication, ICT, numerac,y working with others and problem solving at SCQF levels 5 (Intermediate 2) and possibly 6 (Higher) . It will also provide an understanding of the work environment in the exercise and fitness industry.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises assignments practical tasks and observations and portfolio work.
Number of Days per week:
- Ideally, you will have 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject or perhaps a Higher. National 4 Biology would also be advantageous. You may have done an access or NQ course at SCQF level 5 or have a National Progression Award in Exercise and Fitness Leadership. Appropriate experience would be advantageous either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry. You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2018. You should have an active interest and regular participation in exercise and fitness activities. Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be an expectation of all applicants
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness therefore it will include a practical element. The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in exercise and fitness activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path. There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- You can gain direct entry to employment as a Fitness Instructor Leisure Attendant or similar posts within either private health clubs or local authority leisure centres. Previous students from the college are employed in fitness facilities within Edinburgh the Lothians and beyond.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in Exercise and Fitness such as: HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...