Are you currently participating in sport at a competitive level and looking to improve your skills and performance to potentially make a career out of your sport? Or looking to enhance your knowledge and understanding of sports performance to move onto further study at HNC/D level? Then this could be the course for you.
It is based on a National Progression Award designed to support you and help to develop confidence and personal ambitions in your own sporting performance. The course will also provide you with knowledge and skills involved in attaining sporting excellence and enhance your prospects for continuing education in or out of the industry through the development of transferable skills. There will be a considerable focus on practical activities (within your chosen sport) in order to enhance and/or complement existing training and performance schedules, alongside classroom work.
You must be participating in sport at a competitive level, committed to improvement and be able to support your application with a letter of recommendation from your PE department, club or National Governing Body.
- Sporting performance
- Developing knowledge and skills in target setting
- Personal career management
- Lifestyle planning
- Evaluating what is ‘excellence’
You will study subjects that will help with:
- individual performance improvement
- analysis and evaluation
- exercise and resistance training methods
- anatomy and exercise
- instructional skills
- codes of conduct
- effective communication skills
How Course Is Assessed:
The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects, assignments, practical tasks and observations.
Number of Days per week:
- C3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject. National 4 Biology would also be advantageous.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2015. You must be participating at a competitive level committed to improvement and be able to support your application with a letter of recommendation from your PE department club or National Governing Body. Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme may be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to provide supporting evidence of your participation in sport at a competitive level and there will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- The interview session may also include some written work, asking you to identify your personal aims, objectives and potential career path as an athlete.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in either Fitness Health and Exercise or Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as;
- sports professional
- sports leader
- sports coach
- assistant sports coach
- gym/leisure assistant.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study in appropriately levelled courses in Sport and Fitness such as: HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise HNC/D Coaching and Developing Sport
Testimonials Lizzie Arnot – WU19 National Squad Player (Football) I felt the course was beneficial as I was able to focus on my training and fit it in with my studies at college. Being able to carry out 3 strength and conditioning sessions really helped. By working in the gym with my class mates we were able to encourage and push each other to improve and this helped me grow in confidence in an environment which hasnt always been my strength. Also the theory aspect of the course was interesting and is benefiting me this year at college as I am furthering my knowledge. Brad Robertson – World Champion 2014 (Taekwon-Do) Personally I found the course played a massive part in me retaining my World Title. Everything we done on the course benefited me in one way or another from athletic development to knowledge and understanding of my training. Being able to train and spend time with likeminded athletes (students and tutors) made the course very enjoyable. I would recommend this course to any athlete who is looking to continue to progress in their sport as it will give you a different perspective towards your training physically and mentally.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...