This one year course is aimed at school leavers who have played age grade rugby at District or National level and who wish to continue their rugby development within a full time structured programme. The course is suitable for you as a player if you wish to take a year out and concentrate on your rugby before seeking full time employment or continuing on your education at College or University. The course is based around a National Progression Award designed to support and help you to develop confidence and personal ambitions in your own sporting performance provide you with knowledge and skills in the process of the achievement of excellence and enhance prospects for continuing education in the sport and fitness industry or outside it through the development of transferable skills. There will be a considerable focus on practical activities in order to enhance and/or complement existing training and performance schedules supported by a reasonably challenging level of classroom work in order to develop knowledge and understanding. You must be participating at a competitive level committed to improvement and be able to support your application with a letter of recommendation from your PE department club or National Governing Body.
- This course focuses on your sporting performance developing knowledge and skills in target setting personal career management and lifestyle planning and evaluating what is ‘excellence’.
- You will study subjects that will help with; individual performance improvement analysis and evaluation exercise and resistance training methods anatomy and exercise physiology instructional skills codes of conduct and effective communication skills.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises projects assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Number of Days per week:
- Candidates would ideally have 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject. National 4 Biology would also be advantageous.
- Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in either Fitness Health and Exercise or Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- sports leader
- sports coach assistant
- sports coach
- gym / leisure assistant.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to provide supporting evidence of your participation in sport at a competitive level and there will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in sport exercise and fitness activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study in appropriately levelled courses in Sport and Fitness such as:
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
- HNC/D Coaching and Developing Sport
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here