THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
The food and drink industry in Scotland is vast and rapidly expanding serving up a tempting selection of exciting career opportunities.
Foundation Apprenticeship in Food and Drink Operations gives you the chance to learn about the principles of food science and food safety from developing marketable food products for today`s consumer to the care legislation and processes involved in creating those products.
This is a 2 year course. In year 1 pupils will complete a National Progression Award in Food Manufacture (SCQF level 6) attending college 2 afternoons per week. In year 2 pupils will typically spend around 10 hour per week attending college and with an employer on an extended placement to complete their qualification in the workplace.
You`ll learn in a hands-on way both in a classroom and as part of a placement in a real workplace. You will get a chance to try different roles shadow experienced staff or work on a special project.
You will cover an exciting range of subjects - In year 1 you will complete the following units at college:
- Fundamentals of Food Science
- Food Production
- Commercial and Social Drivers
- REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate
- REHIS Elementary Health and Safety Certificate
Year 2 - you will be mainly delivered in the workplace where you will develop work-ready skills and complete the following units:
- Develop Productive Working Relationships with Colleagues
- Interpret and Communicate Information and Data in Food and Drink Operations
- Contribute to Continuous Improvement of Food Safety in Manufacture
- Develop a New Product in a Food Business
- Promote and Support Creative Thinking in a Food Business
- Year 1 is delivered in College and in year 2 you will spend around 10 hours per week with an employer and in the college throughout S6
How Course Is Assessed:
- Open book
- Closed book
- Practical observations
Number of Days per week:
- YEAR 1 Days: Tuesdays and Thursday Time: 1.45 - 4.45 Campus: Milton Road
- YEAR 2 You will typically spend around 10 hours per week with an employer and in College throughout S6.
- Applicants must of achieved or are working towards National 5s in Maths, Chemistry or Physics.
- A good level of written and spoken English.
- A good level of Numeracy skills.
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Applicants must have an interest in working in a scientific technology environment.
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at college.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- All applicants will be invited along to an information session/interview
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Opportunities within the Food and Drink sector - Product Development Manager, Diagnostic, Technician, Sales, Manager
- Gain entry onto an accelerated Modern Apprenticeship
- Go on to study at University or College in a related subject