This course will build on your existing skills and experience and is aimed at applicants who have either completed a Level 1 course (or equivalent) or who have experience of working in a professional kitchen and are looking to achieve an industry recognised qualification.
The course will build on your current front of house and kitchen skills and introduce you to more advanced cooking skills and techniques ensuring you are prepared for employment or further study. As well as advanced cooking skills you will study healthier food and special diets, menu planning, food and beverage service skills along with customer service within the hospitality, travel and tourism industries. There will be opportunities for you to participate in a programme of visits to hotels and restaurants and other businesses operating within the catering and hospitality industry and ample opportunities for work experience to give you further insight into the industry.
Whether you progress to further studies at College or employment you will be well grounded in the skills knowledge and attributes that are essential for a successful career in the catering/hospitality industry.
- Developing skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene
- Prepare and cook a variety of poultry, meat, fish, stocks, soups, sauces, vegetables, pasta/grains and fruit dishes
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the catering/hospitality industry to support your studies
- Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Open book
- Closed book
- Practical observations
Number of Days per week:
- Maximum of 4 days per week
- 2 grade C passes (or above) at National 5 level or equivalent
- Consideration will also be given to those who have relevant industry experience or have completed a related course at an introductory level
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- All applicants will be invited along to an information session/interview
- SVQ in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 6
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...