This course is designed to develop a high level of skills, and practical experience of a range of production and technical theatre disciplines, leading directly into industry or Higher Education
There is a large amount of self-directed study and project work leading to assessments. You will be expected to work an extended college day when supporting performances to mirror industry practice.
All students take core units in;
- stage management skills
- prop making and set finishing.
In addition, you will choose to take an option in either lighting design or set design. The main bulk of assessment is based on your competence in practical performance situations within the PASS theatre. The units are delivered by classroom and workshop based teaching followed by realistic work experience situations on performances.
- You will be given the opportunity to get additional work experience during your course.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Assessment will take place throughout the course, with regular feedback from lecturers and your tutor
- Some assessments will take the form of short written pieces and checklists. However, the main bulk of assessment is based on your performance in practical performance situations.
Number of Days per week:
- 3-4 days with additional self-directed study.
- Either two ‘H’ grades, or equivalent SQA qualifications, or a relevant NC programme such as dramatic arts or technical theatre or perhaps a relevant NPA.
- Relevant theatre experience.
- Mature applicants with appropriate experience will be considered on their merits
- Final selection is by interview.
- Our students go directly into work on successful completion of the course
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Invited for interview on successful application
Download our progression route map here
- BA Technical Theatre
- On to a degree course at University or Conservatoire
- Many students will go directly into industry
Alice Barry (Graduated with HNC Technical Theatre)
"I recently Stage Managed the opening ceremony for the European Taekwondo Championships which was pretty crazy. I like to see it as a smaller scale Olympics haha I was managing over 400 performers.
However, the highlight of my three years here has been embarking on a placement with the events agency BrandFuel in London. I did this last July where I was the Assistant Stage Manager for a charity dinner attended by F1 Drivers and members of the Royal Family. Performers included Mark Ronson, Travis, Birdie and Ronan Keating, all of whom I had to look after. Again.. it was crazy experience and one of those moments where I thought to myself "how did I end up here.
So that`s where you come in! I truly would not have gained my love for this profession had I not attended the HNC technical theatre course run by you. It taught me an incredible amount and has proved as the stepping stone I required to find a course that I loved and didn`t bat an eyelid at doing 19-hour shifts! It`s amazing when you enjoy something that you don`t mind sacrificing almost anything for it. So with that, I thank you!"
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here