Edinburgh College is committed to offering training to those from diverse backgrounds. Hence this musical theatre program focuses strongly on a candidate’s personal statement at the application stage and performance/interview if invited to audition.
This is an ideal course if you want to develop and apply acting, singing and dancing as a possible career in the exciting industry of musical theatre. The course also provides the opportunity to build your personal skills - useful in any profession and for lifelong learning. There are rewarding theatre visits and professional workshops as part of the course content and you will participate in musical theatre performances to give you valuable practical experience. We also expect you to attend professional theatre productions during the year. This will ensure you are well-prepared for both further study and your future career within musical theatre.
This course requires applicants to have good stamina and physical ability for the high impact practical requirements throughout the course. Course fees may be applicable for visits and external workshops.
- Acting skills (strong emphasis)
- Practical singing skills
- Practical dance skills
- Audition skills
- Performance skills
- Personal skills
- There may be opportunities to get involved with collaboration (other PASS departments such as Music Dance and Acting) or external performances during the course
How Course Is Assessed:
- Through practical demonstration of singing dancing and acting skills as well as theory-based assignment work (actor’s logbooks or Vlogs and through theoretical/research assignments
Number of Days per week:
- 3-4 days with additional self-directed study
- Ideally 1-2 Highers /BTEC in drama dance music or music theatre
- English at SCQF Level 6 recommended but not essential
- Strong personal statement on application
- Successful audition demonstrating strong acting through song/movement skills
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Two Contrasting Songs and Contemporary Monologue Audition (After 1970)
- Improvisation + Group Dance Audition
- Personal Interview ( additional audition particulars will be sent to successful applicants
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Working in the theatre using singing dancing and acting skills (Cruise Ships Holiday Camps Commercials Videos Panto and many other performing arts jobs)
- Progress to MT degree level course at the Conservatoire (Glasgow) ArtsEd (London) or Mountview (London) to name but a few reputable programs in the UK
Progression RoutesDownload our progression route map here
Students have moved onto working in the industry on Cruise ships and West End work.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...