This degree is ideal if you`re looking to develop your dance skills to a professional level. The course provides a nurturing and supportive environment where you will build an understanding and awareness of dance as a force in society.
An emphasis is placed upon dance practice existing and developing within a social and cultural context and you will be required to explore this both through written and practical work. BA Honours Dance is student-centred placing a significant responsibility for your own progress and learning while being fully supported throughout the year by professional teaching staff. The course is validated by Northumbria University to ensure it meets the highest professional standards.
As part of the course, you will participate in a 2-3 week tour of Scottish schools and theatres performing and teaching dance repertoire in a variety of styles to give you essential practical experience in the industry. The course will ensure you truly progress in a range of dance techniques with continuous assessments in Ballet Contemporary and Jazz throughout. By completing this course you will be extremely well-placed for a wealth of exciting professional opportunities such as performer choreographer critic community or public artist or dance facilitator.
- Contemporary and jazz
- dance techniques
- Teaching skills
- Professional studies
- You will be given a variety of performance experiences during the course
How Course Is Assessed:
- Through practical demonstration and theoretical assignments
Number of Days per week:
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
The audition process has three sections:
- Section 1 will take the form of three dance technique workshops (Ballet, Contemporary and Jazz), taught by the dance faculty at PASS. Candidates are required to wear dance kit (leotard, dance tights, ballet shoes and jazz shoes) for the workshops.
- A discussion regarding the course will take place after the classes.; this will also be an opportunity for candidates to ask any questions that they may have. Candidates will have the opportunity to see the campus and meet current students to hear about their experience as a dance student at PASS.
- Section 2 candidates perform a 2 minute, self-choreographed solo, based on a theme of their choice. The solo is a chance for candidates to demonstrate their creative choreographic skills and demonstrate how they would approach creating a new piece. We are looking for potential, not the finished article, so we want to encourage everyone applying for the course to choreograph and play with ideas! A short interview will follow the performance of the solo in which the panel will discuss the creative process that the candidate has been through to create their work as well as discuss their career aims, goals, inspirations and influences as a professional dancer.
- Section 3 candidates submit a short 750-word essay in which they are asked to write about the theme that they have been inspired by to create their solo. This is an opportunity for candidates to show their research and writing skills (using Harvard referencing where possible), which alongside dance technique and choreography, form an integral part of the course.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Work as a performer choreographer critic community or public artist or a dance facilitator
Download our progression route map here
- MA in Dance Science at Edinburgh University
Pamela Jean Smith “PASS helped me achieve success in my career by giving me a realistic vision of what attributes a professional dancer needs and I feel I greatly benefited from my time there and got exactly what I wanted. I still use the work ethic that was instilled into me at College to this day in all of my jobs - how I prepared for final year shows and performances is the same way I worked on set with Lady Gaga!” After graduating with a BA (Hons) Dance Pamela went on to win a dance reality show called ‘Dirty Dancing Time of Your Life’ which led to work in London and LA joining prestigious dance agencies on both sides of the Atlantic. Her career has since seen her dancing with top international music artists including Lady Gaga Usher Janet Jackson Vanilla Ice Cheryl Cole Katy Perry and many more. She has also appeared in various music award shows all over the world and for the past three years danced on ITV’s X Factor Live. ?
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...