Our two year HND Sound Production course provides a unique opportunity for students to learn the creative process of recording production mixing and mastering at the highest level. The course is taught by qualified industry professionals on equipment unparalleled in any educational facility in Scotland – With four flagship SSL AWS900+ studios driven by ProTools on new Mac Pros and over 70 iMacs, DAWs loaded with ProTools and Ableton you’re guaranteed a hands-on learning experience like no other.
Should you decide to pursue your studies further after graduating we have progression agreements in place with four Scottish universities – Edinburgh Napier, Perth UHI, Glasgow Caledonian and Abertay allowing you to achieve your Honours degree with just two further years of study.
- Learn hands-on the art of multi-track recording, production, mixing and mastering all genres of live and electronic music
- How to control, route and understand advanced sound production equipment including our flagship SSL AWS900+ mixing desks as well as industry standard software including Protools, Ableton and Ozone
- In addition to developing practical skills you’ll learn the theory of microphone techniques, time-domain and dynamic effects, acoustics and mastering to give you a deeper understanding of the entire recording process
- If you are interested in live sound you have the option to study Sound Reinforcement – Learning live sound, on our 14k Martin Audio PA system
- Alternatively if you’re interested in Electronic Music Production you can study the art of Music Remixing.
- You’ll be in a great location too – With our connections to a wealth of exciting venues clubs and festivals in and around Edinburgh you’ll have plenty of opportunity to develop your experience in the field. Over both years you’ll be encouraged to work with various artists and bands throughout Scotland and you’ll also attend guest lectures from industry professionals and partners - always a fantastic insight
- Your prospects from this course are incredibly varied with previous students going on to jobs and internships at recording studios and venues around the world including the BBC.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Throughout the year youll be assessed through a mixture of practical and written assessments.
Number of Days per week:
- 2 highers or equivalent and core skills at SCQF5. You must complete a successful interview and demonstrate your knowledge and previous experience in music production. You are required to bring a non-returnable e-portfolio of your previous sound/electronic production work and experience.
- If you already have a current HNC in Sound Production you can apply directly to our second year by e-mailing CRI@edinburghcollege.ac.uk to register your interest.
- You will need to demonstrate a solid basic experience of music production software and hardware including microphone choices microphone techniques compression and EQ.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Youll be invited to attend an interview where you can demonstrate your passion for and previous experience in electronic music production remixing and performance. You will bring a non-returnable e-portfolio (CD/DVD/USB Memory Stick) of your previous sound/electronic music production work and experience
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Career opportunities as a studio producer remixer engineer film and games sound designer studio designer AV freelancer.
Download our progression route map here
- Honours Degree courses at – Edinburgh Napier Perth UHI Glasgow Caledonian and Abertay.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >