Our two year HND in Sound Production provides a unique opportunity for students to learn the creative process of recording, production, mixing and mastering at the highest level. The course is taught by qualified industry professionals on equipment unparalleled in any educational facility in the UK. With four flagship SSL AWS900+ studios driven by Pro Tools; a ninety-six seat auditorium containing a 14K Martin Audio PA system and MIDAS Pro1 live mixing console and over 70 iMac Digital Audio Workstations running Pro Tools, Logic Pro X and Ableton, you are guaranteed a hands-on learning experience like no other.
You will be in a great location too. With our connections to a wealth of exciting venues clubs and festivals across Scotland, you will have plenty of opportunities to develop your experience in the field. Over both years you will be encouraged to work with various artists and bands, and you will also attend guest lectures from industry professionals and partners.
Should you decide to pursue your education further, we are the only institution in Scotland offering a one-year Honours Degree top-up validated by Kingston University London.
- Multi-track recording and mixing
- Sound design, game audio and Foley
- Official AVID Certification in Pro Tools
- Sound for live events
- Creative Music Re-mixing
- Audio post-production
- Location recording (from rock to acoustic and orchestras to jazz ensembles)
- 2 Highers (or equivalent) and core skills at SCQF5.
- Direct entry to the second year is possible if you have successfully completed an HNC in Sound Production with 15 credits. You can apply by e-mailing CRI@edinburghcollege.ac.uk to register your interest.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Throughout the year you’ll be assessed through a mixture of practical and theory assessments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
You will be invited to attend an interview where you can discuss your previous sound production experience. You will bring a non-returnable e-portfolio (CD/USB Memory Stick) of your previous sound/electronic music production work.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Honours Degree courses at Edinburgh College (validated by Kingston University London)
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Perth UHI
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Abertay University.
Download our progression route map here
- Studio engineer
- Sound designer for visual media/games
- Live sound engineer
- Audio visual technician
- Studio designer
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options
“One of the finest music facilities in the country” – Christian Henson (Founding Director Spitfire Audio; composer Poirot, Inside No. 9, Trauma)