If you are working or volunteering with community based groups this course is designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain a professional qualification in Community Learning and Development. You will undertake a placement in youth work adult education or community work in either the statutory or the voluntary sector to give you valuable practical experience.
In addition, you will study a wide range of relevant subjects including group work, sociology, principles of community learning and development, approaches to learning, youth work and managing resources, ensuring you will be well prepared for degree-level study or employment.
The part-time course is delivered over 2 years with 1 day a week at an outreach centre, in Midlothian on a Tuesday from 2.30pm - 8.30pm. There is a requirement to undertake 300 hours of placement over the 2 years of the course. If you are not already working within the sector a placement will be provided. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Principles and Practice of Community Learning
- Managing Resources
- Group Work
- Learning Approaches
- Adult Education
- Working with Young People
- Health Promotion
- Students complete a placement of approximately 45 days (300 hours) in a community based organisation. Students are in college for two days a week and undertake the placement during the remainder of the week for approximately 2 days. Students can use existing paid or voluntary work for their placement or they will be supported to find a placement.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Essays Short answer assignments Presentations Observation
Number of Days per week:
- 2 in College 2 days placement. This can be split over days or evenings
- Minimum 2 Highers or a relevant NC pass at SCQF Level 6
- Mature students without formal qualifications but with relevant experience may be considered.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Applicants will be invited for an inforaml interview to discuss their experience of working with community based groups.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Employment in youth work adult education or community work.
Download our progression route map here
- Students can progress to a degree in Community Education at Edinburgh University Dundee University Glasgow University or the University of the West of Scotland.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >