If you are looking to develop your practical skills and theoretical knowledge that will prepare you for working in Social Care or to progress onto further study then you should apply for NC Health and Social Care.
The course has been designed to support the development of your care practice and to prepare you to work with confidence in the modern care sector.
Along with three days in college, you will also spend two days a week in a Social Care placement from the beginning of November approx. where you will take what you have learned in the classroom and apply this in a professional care environment.
By the end of the course you will feel confident to take the next step of your journey into Social Care, whether that be onto further study, or going into employment.
If you want to progress to University and study Social Work you need to have studied National 5 Maths. If you do not have this qualification, you need to apply to study this separately as it may not part of the course.
You will study a variety of SQA, SCQF level 6 units/courses including
- Higher Care
- Communication NC and Literature 1
In addition to this, we will support your learning with other units relevant to working within Social Care.The units above are being reviewed and are subject to change.
- You will do a placement for two days per week, as well as attending college for 3 days
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed through project work, SQA assessments, reports, essays, and short answer questions.
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days in college and up to 2 on placement.
- A minimum of 4 National 5s including English or an appropriate SCQF Level 5 course.
- Complete a detailed personal statement. This statement should clearly demonstrate your suitability for the course. You need to explain to us the following in your personal statement: what skills and qualities you have that make you someone that would be suitable to work in Social Care, what experience you have and why it is relevant, and why you want to study on the course.
- If you are a school leaver you should have completed 5th year at school as you need to be 17 years old to undertake a social care placement.
- If you are an adult returner without formal qualifications you will have to demonstrate that you can study at this level.
- We are also happy to receive your application if you have experience working in health or social care and are able to demonstrate the ability to work at this level.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- You will be invited to a group interview/information session and have to complete a written piece of work.
- A variety of Social Care and community engagement roles
- Progression routes to Social Care and Community Education Professions
- Alternative further education routes
Download our progression route map here
- HNC Social Services
- HNC Working With Communities
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...