This one-year exciting course will enhance your existing Hairdressing skills and knowledge gained at Level 2, or the work you have already carried out in your salon.
Equipped with a more advanced skillset will enable you to develop your passion and creativity for hairdressing as you progress into a more technical and supervisory level within the industry.
The course involves theory sessions to give you the knowledge to complete the assignments and e-assessments required for the course. As you work within our professional salon environment and Academy you will gain practical experience working on clients working with high-end product companies such as Wella during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employability prospects further.
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges this professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course.
- there is an additional cost for – Uniforms & Kit must be purchased prior to the course start
- Students will be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
- Providing Consultation Services
- Creative Cutting
- Colouring and Lightening
- Styling and Dressing
- Colour Correction
- Developing Creative Hairdressing Skills
- Planning Promotional Events
- All students must have a work placement in place at the beginning of the course - one day per week (9-4pm) for the full academic year
How Course Is Assessed:
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions
Number of Days per week:
- 4 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm) and one day work placement
- All applicants must hold a minimum recognised Hairdressing qualification at Level 2 or equivalent
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview- all criteria will be sent out prior to interview date
- The interview will include a practical trade test and written task which you will be asked to complete prior to the interview
- The formal interview has a scoring criteria based on - presentation and communication skills at interview, along with the practical trade test and written task
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- You will be fully qualified to gain employment within the Hairdressing industry at a technical and/or supervisory level
Download our progression route map here
- You will be fully
qualified to gain employment within the Hairdressing industry or apply to continue your studies at HNC level
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year. eg Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, they also network with likeminded individuals and make new friends for life.
This year we will be hosting both the Wella Exposure regional heats in April 2019 and the AHT Scottish heats in February 2019 at the Granton Campus. And we are also very proud to have the AHT Chair - Marion Main, as part of our hairdressing team.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here