This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter the hairdressing industry. You will attend theory classes to give you the knowledge to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course. As you work within our professional salon environment and Academy you will gain essential practical experience working on clients working with high-end product companies such as Wella during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employability prospects further.
The level 2 qualification will allow you to enter the industry as a junior hairdresser or continue your studies at the next level to enhance your hairdressing skills
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and hairdressers. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges this professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course
Please note: there is an additional cost for –Uniforms & Kit must be purchased prior to course starting
Students are also expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
- Advising and Consulting with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition
- Hair Styling
- Hair Set and Dress
- Hair Plaits and Twists
- Cutting Hair
- Colouring Hair
- Team Work
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme in Semester 2 for one day a week (9 am - 4 pm)
How Course Is Assessed:
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons, working either independently with your own clients or working as a team member
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assessments or e-assessment multiple choice questions
Number of Days per week:
- 4 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course
- A minimum of 2 National 4 passes at SCQF Level 4 or Level 1 Hairdressing qualification
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview, this will include a practical trade test and written task.
- You will be asked to complete the written task prior to the interview - all criteria will be sent out prior to an interview.
- The formal interview has scoring criteria based on - presentation and communication skills at interview, along with the practical trade test and written task
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Opportunity for employment within the Hairdressing industry at a junior level or continue with your studies in SVQ Level 3 Hairdressing
Progression RoutesDownload our progression route map here
Our success stories speak for themselves. Our students take part in a variety of events and competitions over their time at college eg the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) National Competition Wella Exposure to name but a few. Recent events include Hair Club Live ‘Open Chair’ competitions and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show.
This year we are hosting the Great British Barber Bash with show-stopping workshops with some of the best barbers in the UK.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...