This exciting 18-week course covers the skills required to be an assistant in a hairdressing salon. It includes practical sessions working with clients and blocks and theory classes covering the knowledge required to complete all written work and E-assessments as part of your course.
You will work as a team with other students preparing and delivering hairdressing services including shampooing, conditioning, blow drying and removing colour as well as with your own clients. To enhance your skills you will work in our professional salon environment working with high-end equipment and product companies such as Wella during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employment prospects. You will also assist in the reception areas of the salon.
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and hairdressers. Once successfully completing the 18-week course you can then move onto the prep to level 2 course from January to June building the necessary skills that would be required for progression into the level 2 hairdressing or barbering courses the following August.
Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges, this professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course.
Please note: there is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms, and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
- Preparing for the Salon Environment
- Services Shampoo and Condition Hair
- Working as a Team Member
- Assisting with Colouring
- Plait and Twist using Basic Techniques
- It is beneficial for your progress to find a work placement but this is not a mandatory aspect of this level of course
How Course Is Assessed:
- All practical aspects of the course are assessed on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assessments
Number of Days per week:
- 4 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start of the course and hold a minimum of 2 Core skill passes at SCQF Level 3
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview - all criteria will be sent out prior to the interview
- The interview will include a practical trade test and submission of a mood board which you will be asked to complete prior to the interview
- The formal interview has a scoring criteria based on - presentation and communication skills at interview along with the practical trade test and mood board task
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Opportunity for employment within the Hairdressing industry at a junior level or continue with your studies in SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing and/or Level 2 Barbering
Download our progression route map here
- Preparation for Level 2 Hairdressing (January)
- VTCT Level 2 Hairdressing or Barbering (August)
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year e.g. Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, but they also network with likeminded individuals and make new friends for life.
This year we will be hosting both the Wella Exposure regional heats in April 2019 and the AHT Scottish heats in February 2019 at the Granton Campus. And we are also very proud to have the AHT Chair - Marion Main, as part of our hairdressing team.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here