THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
This one-year exciting course covers the basic skills crossing over both disciplines of hairdressing and beauty therapy. You will attend one afternoon per week building on your skills and knowledge gaining essential practical experience in our professional salon environment and Elemis Academy with high-end product companies and equipment. You will also have the opportunity to work in our employability salons which will enhance your employability prospects even further.
You will work with your peers in the college environment giving you the opportunity to see the progression routes that are on offer within the two disciplines and the opportunity to gain feedback from the students that are currently on these programmes.
Pupils must be in S4-S6 and have a passion for the industry. Edinburgh College is the first flagship Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) College in Scotland. This professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course.
Please note: Schools must purchase a kit and uniform from the College for their pupils
- Shampoo and condition hair
- Blow dry hair
- Makeup application
- Hand and nail care
- Colour hair using temporary hair colour
- There is no work placement requirement for this course
- No formal entry requirements, however a moodboard must be submitted at the information day
- Pupils must be in S4-S6 and have a passion for the industry.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical aspects of the course are assessed on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assessments or e-assessment multiple choice questions
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Successful applicants will be invited to an information day in June at the College
- You will be asked to complete a moodboard which we need you to bring along in June - all criteria re moodboard will be sent out prior to the date
- The information day will involve a group session and a 1:1 chat re applicant’s moodboard
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Level 1 Hairdressing
- Level 2 Barbering
- NC Level 6 Beauty Therapy
- Opportunity to progress into further Hairdressing and/or Beauty Therapy courses
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
- 2 afternoons per week - Tuesday & Thursday
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year. E.g. Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, they also network with likeminded individuals and make new friends for life.
This year we will be hosting both the Wella Exposure regional heats in April 2019 and the AHT Scottish heats in February 2019 at the Granton Campus. And we are also very proud to have the AHT Chair - Marion Main, as part of our hairdressing team.