This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter and work in the Barbering industry. You will attend theory classes to give you the knowledge to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course and gain essential practical experience working on clients in our professional salon environment and Academy working with high-end product companies such as Wella to enhance your employability prospects further.
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges this professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course.
This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a Barber. You will also be qualified to access further studies at the next level of your development to enhance your barbering skills even further.
Please note: there is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course. Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
- Advise and Consult with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition
- Hair Dry and Finish Hair
- Cutting Hair and Facial Hair
- Team Work
- Create Basic Outlines
- Detailing in Hair Salon Reception
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme in Semester 2 for one day a week (9-4pm)
How Course Is Assessed:
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within the department.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assignments or e-assessment multiple choice questions
Number of Days per week:
- 4 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm) and one day work placement
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and either hold a minimum of 2 passes at SCFQ level 4 qualifications or equivalent or a recognised Level 1 hairdressing and barbering qualification
- You will be qualified to work within the Barbering industry
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview - all criteria will be sent out prior to interview date
- The interview will include a practical trade test and written task which you will be asked to complete prior to the interview
- The formal interview has a scoring criteria based on - presentation and communication skills at interview, along with the practical trade test and written task
Progression RoutesDownload our progression route map here
Our success stories speak for themselves. Our Barbering students take part in a variety of charitable events and regularly visit the Salvation Army Hostel in Edinburgh cutting and styling the hair and beards of the residents who are homeless.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here