THIS COURSE IS FOR S5 PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL (2 Year Course)
The HNC in Police Studies is a unique course designed by experienced educators in partnership with the local Police. This course aims to give you an understanding of a professional policing environment as well as develop the skills required to operate in such a dynamic and changing sector. You will gain vital industry experience and attend guest lectures from police officers currently in the force.
This is a hands-on course that will equip you with the knowledge, skills and fitness levels required to submit a successful application to the Police Service or a similar public body or service industry. Upon completion you will be fully prepared to take the standard entrance tests for entry into Scottish Police Services. This course is an opportunity to gain an industry-recognised qualification and try out a career while you are still at school.
- Scottish Criminal Procedure
- Scottish Legal System
- IT in Business: Word Processing
- Spreadsheets and Databases: An Introduction
- Police Studies
- Creating a Culture of Customer Care
- Communication: Practical Skills
- You will complete a valuable work placement in year two of the qualification and gain first-hand experience in the industry
- This will be for one day per week for 16-20weeks
- You should be working towards one Higher in a relevant subject and five National Qualification Units at SCQF Level 5/6 or a minimum of five National 5 passes at C or above
- A relevant Scottish Group Award at SCQF Level 5/6
There are a number of subject areas which would be considered relevant for entry to the HNC in Police Studies. These would include qualifications in:
- Scottish Legal System/General Legal Studies?
- First Aid/Fitness
- Modern Studies/ Contemporary social studies
- Information handling/information management
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through submission of course materials, formative assessments and research tasks.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be required to attend an interview to assess if this is the correct course for you
- You must complete a fitness test in order to gain entry onto this course
- You will complete an entrance test where you will apply your knowledge to practical and real-life scenarios
Progression And Articulation Routes
- NC or HNC Legal Services, Social Science or Health & Fitness taught at Edinburgh College
- There is also the possibility of progressing to the BA Criminology & Policing at Edinburgh Napier University, or other Criminology courses available at the University of Stirling
- Police officer
- Various jobs in the public service and public body sector
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1:30pm - 4.00pm for 2 years
Scott came to College to change his career following an injury which prevented him from working in his previous role. Following three years of study, he graduated and was awarded the Chair’s Award for Academic Excellence in Tourism, Hospitality and Business, and has already started working as a HR Administrator for NHS Education. Scott says:
“Returning to education with three children and a mortgage seemed crazy yet, it was the best option I had. The best thing about studying at Edinburgh College was the culture and the people. The course and the teaching were centred on the students which made learning effective and enjoyable. It created a cohesive team-like environment in which I made many friends.”
Read more of our student stories here.