Biology affects everyone and aims to find solutions to many of the world’s problems. Biology the study of living organisms plays a crucial role in our everyday existence and is an increasingly important subject in the modern world. Advances in technologies have made this varied subject more exciting and relevant than ever.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
For classes taking place during the day you come to college twice a week for a two-hour class. For evening classes you come to college or an outreach location within the community once a week for a 3-hour class.
Course Fees: £275 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when an application has been processed.
- Cell Biology - you will develop knowledge and understanding in the context of cell biology. The key areas covered are cell structure, transport across cell membranes, producing new cells, DNA and the production of proteins, proteins and enzymes, genetic engineering, photosynthesis and respiration.
- Biology: Multicellular Organisms - you will develop knowledge and understanding in the context of multicellular organisms. The key areas covered are cells tissues and organs; stem cells and meristems; control and communication; reproduction variation and inheritance; the need for transport and effects of lifestyle choices on animal transport and exchange systems.
- Biology: Life on Earth - you will develop knowledge and understanding in the context of life on Earth. The key areas covered are biodiversity and the distribution of life; energy in ecosystems; sampling techniques and measurement of abiotic and biotic factors; adaptation natural selection and the evolution of species and human impact on the environment.
How Course Is Assessed:
- To gain the award of the course you must pass all of the units as well as the course assessment. All units are internally assessed which can be on an individual unit basis or by using other approaches which combine the assessment for more than one unit.
- For the course assessment, you will draw on extend and apply the skills you have learned during the course. This will be assessed within a question paper and an assignment requiring you to demonstrate the breadth of skills knowledge and understanding acquired from across the units and how these can be applied in unfamiliar contexts and/or integrated ways.
Number of Days per week:
- 4 hours per week across 2 days
- It is essential that you have gained a pass in National 4 Biology course (or equivalent).
- It is recommended that you have also gained a pass in National 4/Intermediate 1 English.
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work at an appropriate level by having already achieved a pass at A or B in the level below which they are applying for.
- National 5 (SCQF 5) subjects - pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in the subject.
- Higher (SCQF 6) subjects - A or B pass at National 5 or A or B at Intermediate 2 in the subject.
- Advanced Higher (SCQF 7) subjects - A or B pass at Higher
- For entry to social science subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, History and Politics previous study of the subject is not required. However, National 5 English is required plus another social subject at SCQF level 5.
The above represents the minimum entry requirements.
These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently. Applicants should identify clearly the reason for studying their chosen subject in their course application.
English Proficiency Requirements:
- This course or its units may provide progression to other qualifications in Biology or related areas as well as further study employment and/or training.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £260 Sighthill part-time (year 1)
This course will start week commencing...