This course is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and systems covering a range of engineering disciplines. It is an ideal stepping stone for studying a variety of engineering courses at HNC/D and Degree Level. The course is based on a mechanical engineering programme and leads to a higher NC group award qualification. There are additional units such as electrical principles and engineering systems which broaden the programme enabling you to progress to a range of different engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil and renewable engineering.
SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme) courses are designed if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least 3 years (5 years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level).
SWAP Access courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at Colleges or Universities in Scotland. For more information on Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) courses please go to www.scottishwideraccess.org
and click on the SWAP East Portal.
- Electrical Principles
- Engineering Design
- Strength of Materials
- Preparation for higher education
How Course Is Assessed:
- Continual assessment throughout the year. No end of year examination.
Number of Days per week:
- Maths and Physics at a minimum of National 5.
- If you havent studied Maths or Physics for some time then you might benefit from taking a preparatory unit before joining the course
- English at Standard Grade Level 3 would be an advantage
- You will also sit an entrance test which covers numeracy, literacy and comprehension.
- If you have been out of full-time education for three years or more this course is particularly suited to you as you can register with SWAP and receive additional support with your application and progression to university
- Adult returners without the Maths and Physics qualifications required are welcome to apply. You will need to offer alternative qualifications or prove a real desire to be on the course
- Places on the course are very competitive and fill up quickly so if you`re interested please apply as soon as possible to ensure you can be considered for a place
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- This study will offer careers in Mechanical, Electrical Renewable and Civil/Structural Engineering.
- Access to a first year degree courses in mechanical electrical renewable and civil/structural engineering at university
- You can study a range of new engineering courses at HNC/D and Associate Degree level and students completing the SWAP Access to Engineering course are eligible to apply for these courses if you would prefer to continue your learning with Edinburgh College
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on...