This course is appropriate if you want to improve your English for work or further vocational study in the UK. The course aims to develop your reading writing listening and speaking skills for everyday life and in work contexts leading to the SQA National 5 ESOL award. In addition to ESOL, you will have the opportunity to improve your IT skills and study Business and Tourism.
The course also includes valuable careers guidance preparation for work and a 6-day work placement. This will give you practical experience to prepare you for further studies and employment. This 17-hour course includes taught classes directed self-study and personal tutorial time.
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). Please note these courses are for applicants whose first language is NOT English.
English Plus National 5 course information
- English language skills of speaking listening reading and writing
- You will develop grammar at an upper intermediate level
- You will extend vocabulary at an upper intermediate level
- SQA units in Business, IT and Tourism (Level 5)
- Careers guidance
- Preparation for work SQA work experience unit (Level 4)
- Work placement
- You will have a 6 day work placement in a field close to your chosen career path
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is internally and externally assessed through the completion of the ESOL National 5 award and National 5 units in IT, Business and Tourism
Number of Days per week:
- ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA or equivalent
- You should have a clear idea of your future study or work plans
English Proficiency Requirements:
- ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA or above or equivalent.
- Your language level will be assessed at interview
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC
- NQ English Plus Higher
- Employment or training
Fees - Information about funding can be found here