If you are unsure of where you want to specialise within computing this course is specifically designed to allow you to work towards a range of computing areas.
You will cover a diverse selection of essential computing industry skills from troubleshooting computer problems to Software Development and Cisco Networking.
Uniquely the course allows you to choose a specialism in the second semester from Jan-June. You can choose one of two specialist paths based on your experience and strengths.
The two paths lead to either a Software Development path or a Computer Networking and Security path.
This is a 1-year course leading to an HNC. Students typically then join their specialist HND for year 2. All our compatible HND year 2 programs have 3rd-year entry to Edinburgh Napier and or Heriot-Watt University.
Alternatively, students can use it as a stepping stone to University degrees after just one year, making it our most flexible HN level option.
Its a fantastic start to developing a career in IT serving as a stepping stone to gain the qualifications you need to achieve your career ambitions.
- Computer Hardware and Systems
- Operating Systems
- Software Development
- Ethical Hacking
- Cisco Networking
- System Development
- Object orientated programming
The above includes all possible routes and so options will depend on your choices during the course.
- 3 Highers at C pass to include Maths and Computing, or a Science
- An SCQF level 6 Computing qualification
- Adult learners and those that are not just leaving school are welcomed and will need to sit a screening activity to assess your current knowledge level
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Mostly practical assessments and written reports with some multiple choice tests.
- 1 Graded exam
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a Skills and Experience screening exercise this will be on a computer
- You should also bring along your certificates
- Further course information will be provided by a lecturer on the course as well as an opportunity for you to ask questions
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Progression to an HND year option with year 3 University entry
- After 1 year with the college you could progress on to various Computing degree courses with year 1 or 2 entry depending on the course
Employment in a wide range of posts in the IT and Computing Industry after completing year 2
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options