THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
There are more than 7,000 workplaces in Scotland’s IT & Telecoms industry and this course aims to help you become part of this interesting, well paid and ever-evolving workplace.
Software development which is programming is behind every app you use, every computer game you play and every software package on your digital devices. It’s about databases, virtual reality and robotics – and much more. Where it goes next is up to you.
A FA Software Development helps you discover what a career in ICT and digital technologies would be like, and if it’s right for you – while you`re still at school. You’ll try software development roles, shadow experienced developers, or do a special project. You’ll build the practical skills and experience you need to do the job well.
In year 1 (S5) you will complete the following units at college:
- Computing Applications: Development
- Computing: Authoring a Website
- Software Design and Development
Year 2 (S6) you will have a mixture of college and workplace delivery where you will develop work ready skills undertake a project for your employer and complete the following units:
- Personal Effectiveness
- Health and Safety in IT
- Telecom Investigating
- Defining Customer Requirements for IT & Telecoms Systems
- Data Modeling 1
- Object Oriented Computer Programming
- Year 2 (S6) you will be partly at college and delivered partly in the workplace where you will develop work ready skills
- National 5 Maths, English and science related subject
- Pupils should be working towards achieving one or two
Highers over S5 and S6, one of which has to be Computing
- Consideration will still be given to all those not meeting
these exact qualifications by way of completing a screening activity at the
college to establish eligibility
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The majority of the course is assessed through projects and work you undertake in the workplace or in college, there are some end of unit tests.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Software Development and Web
- Software Development and Digital Design
- if combined with other qualifications:
- HND Software Development
- HND Web Development
- HND Digital Design
- University entry
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day