THIS COURSE IS FOR SENIOR PHASE PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL
The NPA Data Science qualification is offered to Senior Phase school pupils at level 5/6 depending on applicant ability.
This course will provide a foundation for learners to develop their knowledge and skills in Data Science to support progression to further study or employment and can be used as a first step towards a BSc Data Science Associate Student Degree with Heriot Watt University.
Learners will experience multi-disciplined programming languages including 'R' and 'Python'and will learn how to analyse and visualise data as a means of
communicating important information.
Data skills are important for everyone. They are widely used in health-care, banking, consultancy services, and e-commerce industries, providing opportunities to work in various fields. Demand for workers with specialist data skills like data scientists and data engineers has more than tripled over five years (+231%). This makes Data Science a highly employable job sector and prospective job seekers have numerous opportunities. Employment trends indicate that the current shortage of specialists in data science will become more acute in the future, resulting in a significant shortage of data and computer scientists in the coming decades.
This course is for:
• Learners with a vocational interest in data science or computer science.
• Learners who want to gain skills in data analysis prior to entering university and will benefit from learning how to analyse large datasets, which is required in the majority of undergraduate degrees.
• Learners who wish to improve their data literacy skills but whose vocational interests are not directly related to data science.
• The qualification is also relevant to learners with no particular vocational interest in data science but who wish to improve their data skills prior to pursuing a career in other fields.
Level 5 learners do not require previous knowledge of data science.
Level 6 Learners will be able to progress to year 1 of HND Data Science at Edinburgh College as an Associate Student with guaranteed entry to year 3 BSc Data Science at Heriot Watt University on successful completion.
- Computer Programming
- Maths for Computing
- Data Science
- Data Citizenship
Pupils should be studying towards National 5 maths, English and computing or science-related subject to enter at level 5.
Pupils should be entered for2 Highers if they want to study the level 6. If they want to progress in Computing after this course that they will need at least one higher to be Numerate, such as Computing, Maths or Physics..
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Applicants will be required to participate in a selection process. You will be notified in advance of the details
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Level 5 students can progress to NPA 6 or a Foundation Apprenticeship in IT Software Development whilst still at school or Full-time NC Data Science at College.
- Level 6 students can progress to Edinburgh College to study HND Data Science which is the equivalent to year 1&2 of an Associate Degree in BSc Data Science with guaranteed entry to Herriot Watt University in year 3 on successful completion; Degree in a range of other disciplines; Technical Apprenticeship in Data Analytics; Graduate Apprenticeship in Data Analytics
If a learner wishes to specialise in the field of data science, a variety of future career opportunities will be available including:
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data analyst
- Data engineer
- Data scientist
- Systems analyst
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1.30pm - 4.00pm