This course offers you an exciting opportunity to study various technologies and techniques used in the video games industry. You will learn about the full process of video games development from planning and design right through to project management. You will cover a wide range of development techniques including 2D and 3D animation, programming and games design theory.
The majority of your assessments on the course will be through working on real projects. As you progress you will build an online portfolio of work - essential for your employment in the industry. The course will allow you to access degree-level studies in games development in Year 3.
- Game Technology
- Structured Programming for Games
- Working in a project Team
- Project Management for IT
- 2D Animation
- 3D Level Editing
- Interface Design
- Creating Graphics
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- Games Development: Object Oriented Programming
- Game Customisation and Scripting
- Software Development: Developing for the World Wide Web
- Software Development: Abstract Data Structures
- When applying for Year 1 a minimum 3 Highers, one of which needs to be a C in maths and 1 other numerate subject such as Computing or Physics. All three passes must be A-C
- Alternatively a relevant SCQF level 6 course pass and a good level of maths which can be tested at interview.
- Adults and those not just leaving school are welcomed and will need to sit a screening activity to assess your current knowledge level.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Practical work and some tests. Graded units for both years are a practical game based project.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You should bring along any qualification certificates you have to interview and if possible a game you have created or some software development programs you have written. You may be asked to perform a screening exercise to assess your skill level. Course information will be provided by the lecturer who teaches on the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Access to the second or third year of various university degree courses such as at Edinburgh Napier University or Glasgow Caledonian and Abertay
- Employment in the computer games industry
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options