The Preparation Course for the Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE) Level A2 is a 15-week online course beginning in early August and February. Each semester is designed to improve your general knowledge of the Spanish language while preparing for the DELE examination taking place in May and November at Level A2. This is an external exam that you will have to sign up for outside of Edinburgh College.
In the DELE Preparation course you will learn the necessary skills to complete the different tasks you will find in the DELE examination. You will learn the four skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. The DELE diplomas are official qualifications granted by the Instituto Cervantes of Spain certifying the degree of competence and mastery of Spanish. The DELE examinations follow the guidelines and levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) which ensures international recognition of the level of language learning reached.
- Reading: You will learn how to recognise and understand a variety of different texts and practice various exam-focused skills
- Listening: You will learn how to listen and understand in a variety of different situations such as announcements, formal lectures and radio programmes as well as formal and informal discussions and conversations
- Writing: You will learn the practical skills needed to write specific letters and compositions using appropriate language and how to structure a cohesive and coherent piece of writing
- Speaking: You will learn how to give personal and general information to introduce a topic or express and discuss your opinions. You will practice regularly with a native speaker online who will advise you about using grammar and vocabulary to improve pronunciation and develop strategies to successfully achieve the speaking tasks of the examination
- There are no formal entry requirements
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This is a preparation course designed to prepare you for the Diploma in Spanish Level A2 exam
- You will have to sign up for this exam externally as it is not part of the Edinburgh College curriculum
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Preparing other DELE examination levels or SQA qualifications in Modern Languages
- Further study in languages and related areas employment and/or training
- Language career options or working abroad
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £214 Open Learning (year 1)
Rory Whyte is 29 years old and lives in Dundee. Rory decided to come to Edinburgh College as it was the closest college to him that offered the Highers he needs to go to university. After a successful year, Rory was awarded the Student of the Year Travel, Tourism & Modern Languages Award at this year’s Prize Giving ceremony. We caught up with him and asked about his experience at Edinburgh College.
“I feel honoured. I’ve worked extremely hard this year and it means a lot that the college has taken notice. Nowhere in Dundee offered Higher Spanish outside of High School, and I needed an A at Higher for my university application. I did look at other options but, ultimately, I was attracted by Edinburgh’s reputation and facilities.
Thanks to the kind recommendation on the part of my Spanish tutor at the College, I’ve been lucky enough to receive a conditional offer to study Interpreting with French and Spanish at Heriot-Watt University. Languages have become my passion, and interpreting has been my goal since returning to education.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...