Higher Italian is designed to deepen your previous knowledge of the subject and create a better understanding of the language. You will be exposed to the language over a length of time to acquire greater fluency in topics within the contexts of society, culture, learning and employability. During the course you will enhance your skills in reading, listening, writing, speaking and translation. Grammar aspects will be studied and classroom interaction in the language will be encouraged. This course is challenging and requires the ability to study independently.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
This course is only available online as a distance learning course.
Course Fees: £300 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when the application has been processed.
- Develop skills in reading, listening, writing speaking
- Translation covering topics such as family and friends, lifestyles, learning in context, jobs and other cultural aspects of the languag
- National 5 Italian
- You should identify clearly the reason for studying your chosen subject in your course application
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- An interview may be necessary if you have achieved a qualification equivalent to SCQF Level 5
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- An interview may be necessary if you have achieAdvanced Higher Italian taught at Edinburgh College
- Other SQA qualifications in Italian or related areas
- This course alongside other qualifications can be used to apply for a variety of university courses ved a qualification equivalent to SCQF Level 5
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
Course Cost And Funding Options
Rory Whyte is 29 years old and lives in Dundee. Rory decided to come to Edinburgh College as it was the closest college to him that offered the Highers he needs to go to university. After a successful year, Rory was awarded the Student of the Year Travel, Tourism & Modern Languages Award at this year’s Prize Giving ceremony. We caught up with him and asked about his experience at Edinburgh College.
“I feel honoured. I’ve worked extremely hard this year and it means a lot that the college has taken notice. Nowhere in Dundee offered Higher Spanish outside of High School, and I needed an A at Higher for my university application. I did look at other options but, ultimately, I was attracted by Edinburgh’s reputation and facilities.
Thanks to the kind recommendation on the part of my Spanish tutor at the College, I’ve been lucky enough to receive a conditional offer to study Interpreting with French and Spanish at Heriot-Watt University. Languages have become my passion, and interpreting has been my goal since returning to education.”
Read more of our student stories here.