Playwork SVQ Level 4 is a workplace qualification designed for those working in a playwork setting in a senior role. The role of a playworker is to support all children and young people and create a safe and interesting play area. This could be in an out of school care club, a playgroup or a school holiday provision. The focus of this course is on child-led play that enables children to develop and learn through following their own ideas and interests.
A career in playwork is more than just a job. With plenty of opportunities for progression each day can be different, full of variety and full of adventures. Take your next step towards changing your life and the lives of children. This course will give you the essential knowledge and skills you will need to enhance your employability skills. You will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice in your own workplace and support you throughout your qualification. The course will take place over two academic years and will include a range of learning opportunities including attending monthly classes at Edinburgh College, tutorial sessions with assessors and online learning and research. This course can be used as a progression route to the PDA Childhood Practice at SCQF Level 9 for anyone working towards qualification as a manager/lead practitioner.
- Current Playwork Theory: including loose parts, play types and play cycle
- Leadership and Management in a Playwork Setting
- Operational Planning for your Organisation
- Reviewing and Developing Policies and Procedures
- Reflecting on and Developing your Own Practice
- Supporting Colleagues
- Effective Teamwork
- As you are already in employment there is no placement aspect of this course
- SVQ Level 3 in Playwork or Social Services Children and Young People or HNC Early Education and Childcare or equivalent
- You must be working within a playwork or childcare setting in a supervisory role
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through reflective accounts, observations, tasks and questions
- You will be assigned an assessor who will visit your workplace to undertake observations of your practice
- You will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend a group interview so assess if this is the correct course for you
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- PDA Childhood Practice at SCQF 9
- BA Childhood Practice
- 1 two-hour class per month (morning or evening)
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £988 Sighthill part-time (year 1)
Student Nicola Brown attended College to take her career in a new direction – swapping hairdressing for a career in childcare. Nicola was the winner of the Childhood Practice Academic Excellence award at the College’s Prize Giving ceremony last month, and we caught up with her to find out about her College journey:
“I am very happy about being recognised at Prize Giving. I have loved meeting so many new people whilst being on this course, and I have made lots of new friends.
A couple months after starting the course I found out I was pregnant and I thought that I would really struggle to complete everything in the course due to taking time off for appointments and working two days as well as being at College. To keep on track, I stuck to a plan and made sure I handed everything in on time and studied regularly. This helped me stay motivated and focused to finish the course before the baby came.
My plan for the future is to take this year off on maternity leave with my new baby and then return next August to complete my HNC in Childcare. My end goal is to become a Childhood Practitioner and work with children.
I would just like to say thank you to my lecturers for their help and support through this course. It means a lot to me and without their positivity and encouragement I don’t know how I would have stayed motivated.”
This course will start on…
This course will end on...