This course is designed for those who are currently employed in a playwork or childcare setting. It will provide the theoretical knowledge and practical skills you require to work as a playworker.
The role of a playworker is to support all children and young people in the creation of a space in which they can play. The Playwork Principles define play as ‘a process that is freely chosen, personally directed and intrinsically motivated. Children and young people determine and control the content and intent of their play, by following their own instincts, ideas and interests, in their own way for their own reasons.’
Current theories from early learning and playwork focus on the ways that children develop resilience and self-confidence through self-directed play opportunities.
This is a vocational qualification and you will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency. As much of the evidence for the portfolio is generated in the workplace you will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice and support you throughout this qualification. The course will take place over 18 months and will include a range of different learning opportunities: classes tutorial sessions, online learning and research, reflections and tasks. On completion, you’ll be eligible to register with the Scottish Social Services Council as a practitioner.
Visit the SSSC website for more information about registration.
- Current playwork theory and practice
- How to encourage and support self-directed play
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Children’s rights
- Health, well being and resilience
- Inclusive practice
- Students are required to be in employment in a setting that offers self-directed play opportunities for children and/or young people
- A minimum of two Highers (one of which should be English) or pass in a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ level 2 in Playwork or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People
- Or a qualification at or above SCQF 6 that demonstrates ability in research, essay writing and reports, together with experience of working with children.
- You must be working within a playwork or childcare setting in an appropriate role
- Applicants with significant experience of working with children will also be considered please detail this in your personal statement.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed holistically by reflective accounts projects and questions. You will be assigned an individual assessor who will visit your workplace to undertake observations of your practice
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend a group interview
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- SVQ level 4 in Playwork or PDA Childhood Practice at level 8 - if you progress to a senior role within your workplace
- Registration with SSSC as a practitioner within a playwork or childcare setting
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
- One 2 hour class per month
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £765 Sighthill part-time (year 1)
This course will start on…
This course will end on...