Interested in working in the childcare sector? Want to find
in Childcare course is designed for males interested in finding out more about
working with children and young people. Our interactive evening classes offer
the opportunity to learn more about the practicalities of working with children
and to achieve accredited SQA childcare units. The course is a broad
introduction to working in the childhood practice sector including the
regulatory and registration requirements.
Read our blog post
featuring Kieran, a nursery Team Leader, talking about what it's like to be a male practitioner in the sector.
- The classes include tutor input, group discussions, practical sessions, visits to a nursery and outdoor play environment. Key topics include play, where we examine the importance of play, consider different play spaces and a range of play types and discuss the adult role in supporting play.
- We study an introduction to child development and the influences that have an impact on development.
- For those interested in developing their knowledge, we’ll signpost you to further reading and study
- Not required – but hands-on experience through voluntary or
paid work would be beneficial alongside the course
- A good level of written and spoken English, an interest in
working with children and young people
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- There are written assessments for the units
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- NC Early Education and Childcare
- HNC Childhood Practice
- SVQ 3 Social Services Children and Young People
- Full or part-time options available
- Childcare practitioner, early years practitioner, playworker
- The course runs one evening per week 6.30-8.30pm during term
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £107 Granton evening (year 1)
This course will start on…
This course will end on...