Childhood Practice at SCQF 8 is for people interested in
developing their career options in the early education childcare or playwork
sectors and also for those wishing to gain additional credits towards the PDA
Childhood Practice at SCQF 9.
The course is made up of the new PDA Childhood Practice at SCQF 8 plus
additional units to offer a total of 120 credits over 2 years. This course will
give you a deep understanding of professional practice in the early learning
and childcare sector and how legislation policy and frameworks should be used
effectively to ensure children and young people are supported and valued.
During the course, the students will build on their existing knowledge and
Develop their understanding of current frameworks and policy
and the ability to analyse how they work in practice.
Research and investigate contemporary theories of leadership
Explore pedagogical approaches to supporting children and
young people in their play learning and development.
Identify factors that influence the application and
development of their professional practice.
Evaluate the application of regulatory codes and standards
for Childhood Practice.
Evaluate accountability and responsibility for continuing
professional development within the regulatory framework.
Course options are:
Midlothian Campus - Tuesdays 6:30pm-8:30pm
Granton Campus - Thursdays 6:30pm-8:30pm
Sighthill Campus - Thursdays 6.30-8.30pm
Not sure if this course is right for you? Find
out more about the options that are available this year at Edinburgh
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional practice
- Legislation and policy
- Developing leadership
- Quality assurance
- Collaborative working
- Applicants should be currently employed in the childhood practice sector.
- Applicants should have an award accepted by the SSSC to register as a practitioner (for example HNC Childhood Practice SVQ 3 Social Services (Children and Young People) SVQ 3 Playwork)
- You should also have been working in the childhood practice sector for at least 1 year.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed by a combination of project work, essays, closed book assessments and presentations
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Progress to further study at SCQF 9. This can be through the PDA Childhood Practice at SCFQ 9 or the BA Childhood Practice.
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
- One evening session (6.30 – 8.30) per week over 2 academic years
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £721 Sighthill evening (year 1)
- This course will give you the skills and knowledge to take on a senior role within an early learning or childcare setting.
This course will start on…
This course will end on...