This course offers continuing professional development for childcare practitioners. This course is made up of individual SCQF Level 7 and Level 8 units. It is aimed at developing knowledge and skills at this level and is suitable for practitioners who are currently working with children and young people in a childcare setting. This course is also a route to increasing SCQF credit points at this level whilst working towards courses at higher levels. The course is flexible and you can generally take one, two or three of the units in an academic year.
This course is an online course with minimal college attendance required. Expected online activity is approx. 2 hours per week. Please note the fee for this course is per unit.
Not sure if this course is right for you? Find out more about the options that are available this year at Edinburgh College.
The units cover a range of contemporary topics that underpin the work of the childcare professional:
- Health, wellbeing and safeguarding - Level 7
- Supporting children’s behaviour - Level 7
- Teamwork in care settings - Level 8
- Facilitating playwork opportunities - Level 7
- Supporting children with additional needs - Level 7
- Managing the implementation of the Playwork Principles in your setting - Level 8
There will be a variety of teaching and learning methods. This includes group work, class discussions, keeping a journal and reflecting on aspects of your work.
- You will be currently working or volunteering on a regular basis in a childcare setting and have the appropriate PVG in place before commencing these units.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Each unit has unique assessment methods which can include report writing, essays, reflections on practice and presentations which allow you to demonstrate your knowledge understanding and work-based practice.
Number of Days per week:
- The units are delivered on an open learning basis using our online learning system.
- Each unit should take approx. 14 weeks to complete. Applicants can do 1, 2 or 3 units.
- Students will receive online support and can contact their tutor by phone or email.
A minimum of two Highers (one of which should be English) or pass in a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People.
Or a qualification at or above SCQF 6 that demonstrates ability in research, essay writing and reports, together with the experience of working with children.
Note; applicants with significant experience of working with children will also be considered please detail this in your personal statement.
As the units are delivered online, applicants should be confident in using IT to access the course.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- All successful applicants will be sent information from the admission team on payment methods and the course information booklet along with an explanatory email about how to access the course materials and tutor contact information.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Leadership roles in childcare settings.
- Senior practitioners in nurseries.
Download our progression route map here
- Further study options could include degree-level courses such as PDA Childhood Practice at Level 9 or the PDA Childhood Practice at SCFQ 8 or the BA Childhood Practice.
- These units are ideal for people building credits towards study at these levels.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £105 Open Learning (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...