Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life makes childcare an incredibly rewarding and worthwhile career to get into. A career in Early Learning and Childcare is both varied and creative – and you won’t be sitting behind a desk all day.
The HNC Childhood Practice course is perfect for qualified young people or experienced adults who are wishing to pursue a career in childcare, and for those who are progressing on from NC Early Education and Childcare. This is an advanced SCQF Level 7 course and will require applicants to demonstrate a good self-study discipline.
There are different modes of attendance that you can apply for, including part-time and evening study. The part-time day option is 10-2pm at Granton campus on a Tuesday. Not sure which mode of study you want to do? Find out more about the options available.
Students studying childcare courses may be required to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) and to apply for a PVG. Read about these here and find out what you need to do.
For further information please contact Jackie Vural Jacqueline.Vural@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
- How to observe and assess children’s learning and development and apply theoretical knowledge to your practice.
- How to promote health and well-being with children and gain a good understanding of children’s rights and participation.
- How to support children and their families.
- Contemporary theories of leadership and teamwork and how to apply these in practice.
- We promote active learning and you can expect to be taking part in activities in and out of the classroom.
- This course has mandatory workplace requirements and units of study which must be achieved in the workplace. Students will be in a childcare workplace setting for approximately 60 days throughout their course.
How Course Is Assessed:
The course is assessed by a combination of project work, essays, closed book assessments and presentations.
Number of Days per week: Full-time
- Full-time study is 2 days per week (12-14 hours per week in college) with 3 hours per week of self-study.
- Monday and Tuesday 09:00-16:30 (subject to change).
- Placements are planned to start at around week 12. From this date you will be in college 2 days per week (Monday & Tuesday) and in Placement 2 days per week (Wednesday & Thursday). Subject to change.
- We will make every effort to provide your chosen course at your chosen campus.
- Part-time study is one morning session per week over 18 months, 10:00-14:00.
- A minimum of two Highers, one of which should be English or a pass from a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6. Or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People.
- Mature applicants with significant experience of working with children will also be considered - please detail this in your personal statement.
A minimum of two Highers (one of which should be English) or pass in a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People.
Or a qualification at or above SCQF 6 that demonstrates ability in research, essay writing and reports, together with experience of working with children.
Note; applicants with significant experience of working with children will also be considered please detail this in your personal statement.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
As an HNC Student, you will be required to self-fund your workwear. Workwear is required to be worn when in placement. Estimated costs for this workwear kit is £66.75 and is purchased through our college suppliers.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to register with the SSSC as a practitioner in a day care service for children and young people. This includes working in a nursery, out of school club, playschemes and playgroups. Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- This course is intended to enable registration with the SSSC as a practitioner.
- Further study options could include degree-level courses such as BA Childhood Practice, PDA Childhood Practice at Level 9 or the Childhood Practice at SCFQ 8 course.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £747 Granton part-time (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will start on… br >