Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life makes childcare a very rewarding and worthwhile career. With the expansion of Early Learning and Childcare services across Scotland, there are lots of jobs available. This is a flexible career, with a variety of different ways to train and study to qualify as an Early Learning professional.
This Childcare: Second Steps course is designed for adults/mature applicants and those wishing to return to formal education and gain recognised qualifications. This is a short full-time course which runs for 18 weeks.
All successful applicants will be invited along to a mandatory applicant day. Find out more about the events.
Students studying childcare courses may be required to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) and to apply for a PVG. Read about these here and find out what you need to do.
- Care of Children Child Development and the Process and Practice of Play
- Children and Young People: Rights and Protection
- Supporting Children with Additional Support Needs
- ICT – Core Skill Certificate at Level 5
- Introduction to the Health Sector - Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA certificate in “Early Education and Childcare” at SCQF 4.
- There is no formal placement requirement for this course, however, there may be work experience opportunities in a childcare setting as available.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Continual assessment, practical assessment and role play.
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week with 3 hours per week of self-study and additional team working and community-based activities as appropriate.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays, 09:00-16:30). Subject to change.
- We will make every effort to provide your chosen course on your chosen campus.
- There are no formal entry requirements however candidates must demonstrate a keen interest in childcare, have an enthusiasm for learning and have good communication skills. Experience of working with children would be beneficial.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All applicants will be invited along to a information session where you will complete some short tasks (including written and numerical) to help best support you in your studies. Please also bring any certificates of previous study.
For this level of course your workwear is funded through your bursary award (no requirement for you to pay). Workwear is required to be worn when in placement.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- This Second Steps course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in itself will not lead to direct employment in a childcare setting
Download our progression route map here
- Childhood Practice: Level 5 or NC Early Education and Childcare
- Suitability for progression onto further study will be determined by achievement, a good attendance record, good conduct and you will require a successful progression discussion with your Study Coach.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >
This course will end on... br >