Life Sciences Access is a steppingstone to further education at a university level. You will develop your knowledge and understanding in subjects such as Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) meaning if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to?www.scottishwideraccess.org
and click on the SWAP East Portal.
You will cover a range of National 5 and Higher-Level subjects such as:
- Information Technology?
- Preparation for Higher Education
All SWAP students are required to participate in and complete Preparation for Higher Education (HE). Preparation for HE will assist you in researching and visiting universities. You will be expected to work as a team and on your own to complete this module
- This Access programme is NOT intended for recent school leavers
- Mathematics at National 5 (or equivalent) at Grade C or above (please note Intermediate 2 Mathematics is required at B Grade or above)
- You must have been out of full-time education for three years or more and have no/few formal qualifications
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Entry is by informal interview and a short entry exam. All candidates are interviewed to ensure that the appropriate course is chosen and that the applicant can cope with the amount of work involved.
Progression And Articulation Routes
A large range of degree courses offered by the universities in East and Central Scotland including:
Download our progression route map here
- The University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Dundee
- Abertay University
- University of St Andrews
- University of the Highlands and Islands
- University of Aberdeen
- For Biological Science students this course can lead on to a range of degree options including Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Microbiology
Course Cost And Funding Options
The Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) is a partnership between colleges and universities to support access to higher education for adults. At Edinburgh College, there are many courses available to help those with few or no qualifications begin their path to university.
We caught up with ex-Edinburgh College student Camilla Scarlett to see what she thought of her studies at Edinburgh College and how it helped her progress to university:
‘I really enjoyed studying Microbiology at Edinburgh College. It was exciting using a microscope for the first time and analysing bacterial colonies that I had created. The equipment required for titrations was very precise and specialised.
I enjoyed the overall experience of learning and being at college. Meeting great people, discovering new things and the sense of achievement after such a heavy workload. I’ve started studying an honours degree in Biological Science at The University of Edinburgh.’
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
- Monday 31/08/2020
- Monday 31/08/2020
This course will end on...
- Friday 18/06/2021
- Friday 18/06/2021