Biology National 5 is a part-time course designed to teach you a deep understanding of subjects such as Cell Biology, Multicellular Organisms and Life on Earth. Biology is the study of living organisms and aims to find solutions for many of the world’s problems. Biology plays a crucial role in our everyday existence and due to advances in technologies this varied subject is now more exciting and relevant than ever.
Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science. This course will help you progress towards a career in the science and biology industry or further study at a university level.
National 5 courses, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects. These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently.
You will attend either day or evening-classes. Day-classes will be taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus twice a week for two-hours. Evening classes can be held at Edinburgh College or at an outreach location within the community once a week for three-hours.
Course Fees: £268 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when an application has been processed.
- National 4 Biology (or equivalent)
- National 4 English is recommended but not mandatory
- Pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in Biology
- Applicants should clearly identify the reason they chose to study Higher Biology in their course application
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You must complete a question paper in exam conditions
- You must complete an assignment that will demonstrate the breadth of skills, knowledge and understanding learnt from the units taught during this course
- You must pass all units and the course assessment to achieve your award
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to sit a diagnostic test to assess your existing knowledge and suitability for the course
Progression And Articulation Routes
- This course and its units will provide progression to other qualifications in Biology or related areas as well as further study, employment and/or training
- You can progress to further study at a university level by using this course in conjunction to others
Careers in the field of:
- Biological and biomedical sciences
- Various science industries
- Day class – 4 hours per week across 2 days
- Evening class – 3 hours per week across 1 evening
Course Cost And Funding Options