This course requires all applicants to have passed an HND Photography level course or an International equivalent prior to application. The BA Professional Photography course provides you with a unique opportunity to develop skills within your own chosen area of contemporary commissioned photography.
This is a practice-led course which allows you to optimise your creative and technical skills and will provide you with the tools needed to enter a fast paced competitive industry. The college has also developed important links with the industry encouraging you to engage with photography professionals to give you real practical knowledge. This course is unique in Scotland as it is accredited by the British Institute of Professional Photography as well as endorsed by the Association of Photographers.
The course has been designed by experienced practitioners to make sure it meets the highest standards delivered by practicing professionals with a wealth of experience in the industry. You will be taught in purpose-built state of the art facilities using a mixture of analogue and high-end digital medium format capture. Our well-equipped studios have a drive-in facility suitable for shooting vehicles advertising and fashion shoots with an equipment store containing a large range of industry standard equipment available for loan. Guest lecturers from a variety of backgrounds are invited to give you an insight into professional and creative practice.
The success of this course is benchmarked by the success of our graduates who are multi award winners in national and international photography competitions. Some of our most successful graduates work with world-renowned photographers all over the world. Most of our graduates become employed or self-employed or progress on to postgraduate study. Our ethos is to combine creativity and technical excellence to achieve success in an ever-changing industry.
- Major Project
- Photographic Practice
- Professional Set Projects
- Photography Business Strategy
- Creative Collaboration Project
- Critical Studies
- HND Photography with an A or B pass in Graded Unit 2 or an international equivalent
- A portfolio of work
- Successful interview
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This course is assessed by continual assessment through set course modules. You will undertake a range of practical assignment briefs and concentrate on developing a body of work that will showcase your creative and technical skills.
- Contribution to individual tutorials, group tutorials and seminars
- A final developed portfolio of work, written essays and reports
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Strong Portfolio of 25 pieces of photography work
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- BA Honors at a variety of Universities
- Freelance employment in fashion, advertising, corporate photojournalism, image editing, social and wedding, forensics, picture editing
- Further study at postgraduate level
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our Professional Photography BA (Hons) graduate has won both the British Institute of Professional Photography College Award and the Student Photographer of the Year Award. Greg is an outstanding student with a very professional approach to his work and is a well-deserved winner.