Do you have the creative potential to write, direct and produce for television? Do you have the technical curiosity to be able to adapt your skills to whatever form the medium will require in the future? If so, then this course is for you.
We provide instruction in the technical skills of camera and sound acquisition, lighting, editing, motion graphics and audio post production using HD and solid state equipment. You will learn to write and direct in a variety of genres and styles, both factual and dramatic. You will acquire skills of criticism and research that will give you a solid grounding for progression onto a university honours degree and employment. And you will produce a range of short programmes that will give you a practical understanding of television production and enable you to compile an impressive show-reel, one that will aid you in achieving your first steps into this dynamic and exciting industry.
The television industry is undergoing fast and dramatic changes not only in the technology of production and distribution but also in content creation and the very form of the medium itself. On the HND Creative Industries: Television course at Edinburgh College you will receive extensive and comprehensive instruction across the creative, technical and production aspects of the TV industry, gaining a solid grounding in the basic principles, that will enable you to decide on a choice of career and to steer your way through this complex and demanding field no matter which way it develops.
- Programme & Film production
- Camera (JVC GY-HM600, Sony NEX-EA50, Blackmagic Cinema, Sony FS5, prime lenses)
- Sound Recording (Sennheiser & Rode gun & radio mics. SQN, Sony & Zoom mixers)
- Lighting (Dedo, Kelvin Tile, LED panel & Redhead kits)
- Editing (FCPX, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, DaVinci Resolve)
- Video Compositing & Motion Graphics (Adobe Photoshop & After Effects)
- Audio Post production (5:1 Pyramix suite)
- Law in the Communications Industry
- Work Experience
- You will need to have 2 Highers or 3 units at Higher Level from digital media-related subjects as well as Communication and Numeracy at SCQF Level 5
- If you have relevant work and life experience we also welcome you to apply to attend an interview.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Practical / Project work and associated paperwork
- Written assessments
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- HND 2
- Degree level studies at University (Year 3) in related studies
- Sound producer
- Independent documentary producer
- Script writer
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options