The HND Visual Communication in User Experience Design is a sector-leading studio-driven course which equips students with the design thinking, practice and working skills necessary for a career as an interaction designer, visual designer, user researcher, or user experience specialist.
The course delivers practical projects across formats that include websites, apps, digital publications, experiential spaces and motion graphics.
- learn the design process of analysis, design, prototyping and evaluation
- learn how to present research and prototyped work to clients
- use the latest studio tools including Adobe Suite, InVision, Figma, Sketch, Readymag
- work with industry specialists on live briefs
- attend study week / Transmediale Festival in Berlin
- showcase project work at our annual _transition event
- enter worldwide design competitions – DADI, D&AD, YCN
This course is an update of the award-winning Interactive Design course and was developed in consultation with an industry panel of design and UX experts from some of Scotland’s top digital agencies.
- Visual Communication Introduction
- Working in the Field of Visual Communication
- Art & Design Context
- Art & Design Project
- Typography Introduction
- 2D Computer Animation
- Web Design
- Digital Imaging
- New Media
- Creative Project for Artists & Designers
- Graded Unit 1
- Information Graphics Advanced
- Web Design Project
- Digital Imaging Project
- Compositing for Motion Graphics
- Advanced Compositing for Motion Graphics
- Design Production
- Creative Arts Project (Development)
- Creative Arts Project (Production)
- Preparing for a Role in the Field of Visual Communication
- Portfolio Production
- Graded Unit 2
How Course Is Assessed:
Assessment is through practical projects where students tackle a range of client-initiated briefs, design competitions, and studio projects. The curriculum mixes research, problem-solving and teamwork skills with theory and practice in digital and experiential design.
- Work in a variety of design environments
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Applicants are invited to an interview and portfolio review
Download our progression route map here
We have an articulation agreement with Napier University. The HND qualification will also open up degree options in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Digital Design, and Product Design.
This course will also allow graduates to apply for junior positions and internships across the Creative Industries.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here