This course is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the visual communication industry allowing you to develop the knowledge and skills to start out as a freelance illustrator. Youll gain industry-relevant skills in specialised illustration areas such as editorial (magazines and newspapers) design advertising and book publishing. The course will give a number of opportunities to exhibit your artwork. The end of year Diploma Show Exhibition is a rewarding way to display the best of your work in a professional exhibition space outside of college. Youll work with your fellow students as well as professional artists and venues to produce and distribute marketing material prepare spaces and acquire resources. Theres also the option to undertake a work placement in a design studio or complete a live project brief set by a client or designer from industry. This is all invaluable practical experience to prepare you to work as a professional illustrator. Throughout the course youll also develop a range of vocational and transferable skills which are highly sought after in todays competitive job market. Youll be well prepared to progress onto further art and design courses too.
- Visual communication skills and knowledge
- Specialised illustration areas: editorial (magazines and newspapers), design advertising and book publishing
- How to produce and distribute marketing material, prepare spaces and acquire resources
- Transferable core skills
How Course Is Assessed:
- This is a practical studio based course assessed on portfolio submission throughout the year
- Year 1: minimum of 2 Highers or relevant Btec or UAL level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year 2: pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You should have a good understanding of the creative process evident within your portfolio and wish to specialise to develop a career in this area of Design.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Portfolio and successful interview
- Self employmentWorking within a design or Advertising agency
Download our progression route map here
- Degree level study within the field of Visual Communications
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...