This practical two-year course will allow you to develop a wide range of textiles skills and knowledge. Your studies will be particularly varied ensuring you will experience all the areas needed to follow a career in the Fashion and Textiles industry - whether this is working as a designer, an artist or a crafts person. You will be well-prepared for related industries, such as marketing, PR, retail or manufacturing. You will have exciting opportunities for both informal and formal work experience throughout the course. You will also produce a personal portfolio to showcase your work - essential for university applications - making this course the perfect platform to develop your fashion and textiles skills even further.
- Concept Fashion Design
- Simple Pattern Drafting
- Garment Construction
- Surface Decoration
- Textile Techniques
- Fine Art Textiles
- Textile Accessory
- Printed Textiles and Millinery
How Course Is Assessed:
- This a practical studio based course assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year.
- Year 1: You must have one of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 2 Highers
- A relevant Btec or UAL level 2/3
- Foundation Diploma
- SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year 2: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level. You should have a good understanding of the creative process evident within your portfolio and wish to specialise to develop a career in this area of Design.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Interview and successful portfolio review.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Work as a designer, maker, or in retail or marketing fields.
- A degree-level course in a wide range of related specialist subjects.
Download our progression route map here
- Entry into Fashion and Textile degree programmes including Year 2 and 3 of BSc (Hons) Design for Textiles at Heriot-Watt University.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here