The Edinburgh College Development Trust offers a range of different grants and scholarships for groups of students. It offers student scholarships in partnership with businesses and hopes to offer grants for individual students in certain circumstances in the near future.
For groups of students
The Development Trust supports projects that benefit a group of students where the project improves their employability skills, develops life skills, or helps promote positive mental well-being.
In the past grants have been given for
- A group of hairdressing students to attend a competition in Blackpool
- A group of professional cookery students to hone their specialist skills working alongside patisserie chefs in a Paris kitchen
- A group of classical music students for a music tour of the Highlands
Applications will be accepted for 'groups of students' grants through a member of Edinburgh College staff only.
What will the Development Trust consider for funding:
- Up to a maximum of £5k maximum per project
- 50% of the costs only, except in very exceptional circumstances
- For groups of students currently studying at Edinburgh College
- We cannot fund any project that has already started
- We are unable to fund anything that Edinburgh College should be providing
- The Development Trust favours one off and pilot projects
- It looks to fund projects where other sources of funding are not available
- Complete and return the form by two weeks before the next Development Trust meeting. In 2018 this is: 25th January, 10th May, the end of July and the middle of October
- Please do this in good time as we may request more information before your application can be considered
- The Trust receives more application each year than it is able to fund so applications are not guaranteed.
- You will be notified of the trustees’ decision within four weeks of the meeting. Please note that the trustees will not award funding for projects that have already started. There will be specific terms and conditions that come with your grant offer. The award is dependent on these conditions.
The Development Trust Manager is happy to have informal conversations with potential applicants regarding their projects.
Fundraising for the rest of your project - The Development Trust only part funds projects except in very exceptional circumstances so please consider how you might raise the rest of the funds that you need.
Grants for individual students
The Development Trust does not currently give grants to individual students but is hoping to do so in the near future. Once available this will be promoted across Edinburgh College and information will be available here. Ways in which you may be able to help with this new initiative include fundraising
, and donating
The McLeod Memorial Fund
is a bequest by the family in memory of the late Robert McLeod, the first principal of Edinburgh’s Telford College. He was a visionary educator and was awarded an OBE for his services to education. Details of who will be eligible for this funding will be available imminently. Watch this space for more information or contact the Development Trust
Other grants and support available
Green Project Fund
The Development Trust has provided funding to the college’s sustainability team to offer small grants of up to £500 for environmental sustainability projects put forward by students. For more information contact Severine.Monvoisin@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
Edinburgh College Development Trust is a Scottish Charity, No. SC044657. Company No. SC469307.