Learning Support
Additional Needs

At Edinburgh College, we welcome students of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. 

We understand that some students may require some additional support with their learning to get the best out of their time at the College.

Our Learning Support Team offers a voluntary and confidential service, helping students who tell us about a disability or additional support need. 

We support students who disclose:
  • a specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, ADHD or ADD)
  • a visual or hearing impairment
  • an autistic spectrum condition
  • mental ill-health
  • a physical impairment
  • long-term illness
A Learning Support Adviser meets with individual students to develop a Personal Learning Support Plan that accommodates their additional needs. 

We advise students on the evidence that is required such as a doctors letter, an Educational Psychologist report or dyslexia screening report.

We work with teaching teams to ensure that any recommended alternative assessment arrangements are appropriate.

We assist with applications for the Disabled Students Allowance for those who are coming onto an HNC or HND course.

Our Learning Support staff are based on each of our four College campuses.  The College is open over the summer holidays prior to the start of a session.

If you have a disability or additional support need, please contact us so that we can arrange to meet with you before you start your course.

Care Experienced Students 
Edinburgh College is a proud Corporate Parent we take our responsibility to support care-experienced students very seriously.  Our role includes supporting you through the college application process, ensuring you have a positive learning experience and providing support along the way.  Your college experience will be the same as all the other students but with the offer of extra support to allow you to get the very best from Edinburgh College. 

What does being care experienced mean?
Care Experienced individuals may have been, or are currently in, the following situations: 
  • Foster care - Living with another family
  • Residential care - Living in a children’s unit
  • Kinship care - Living with friends or relatives
  • Care leaver - Someone leaving care or no longer in care, and under the age of 26
  • At home - Living with parent(s), but with formal social work involvement 
Disclosing on your application you are care-experienced allows us to contact you to tell you about the wide range of support we can offer, including: 
  • Funding and how to apply for your Care Experienced Bursary and other funding that you might be entitled to, including Childcare and Discretionary Funds 
  • Put you in touch with a member of staff who will be your key contact throughout your time at college 
  • Discuss any learning support needs and assessment arrangements you might be entitled to, perhaps you had extra time and/or a reader for your exams in school 
  • Let you know about the wide range of support available  e.g. Wellbeing and Counselling services  
  • The college has a very active Students Association, Edinburgh College Students Association (ECS) and they have a dedicated page for care-experienced students.  You will be invited to join once you have enrolled on your course 

If you are studying at HNC or HND level you will apply to SAAS for your Care-Experienced Bursary.  There isn’t a separate application and you just complete the usual application and indicate that you are care-experienced:

To find out more about the support available contact us at


For further information please contact the College t: 0131 669 4400 | Terms of use and disclaimer
Text Size + - Background Colour Text Colour
Inverted Grey Simple Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default
Black Grey White Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default