THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
This is a 2 year course. In year 1 pupils will attend college 1 full day per week per week completing a National Certificate in Civil Engineering (SCQF level 6). In year 2 pupils will typically spend 1 day per week in college and 1 day per week completing an extended work placement with an employer to complete their vocational qualification in the workplace. What is a Foundation Apprenticeship?
A foundation apprenticeship consists of both academic and vocational components from the current National Certificate (NC) Civil Engineering and SVQ Level 3 Construction Contracting Operations offered by SQA. These industry level qualifications will help to build knowledge and skills required for a career in civil engineering. This programme requires attendance one full day per week at Edinburgh College Granton Campus.
What is Civil Engineering? ‘Civil engineers design and build bridges, roads, railways and tunnels. They design and build tall structures and large buildings such as multi-storey car parks, train stations and even the Olympic stadium. Without civil engineers, the world we live in would be completely unrecognisable.’ (Institution of Civil Engineers – www.ice.org)
- 1st and 2nd Year Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
- Civil Engineering
- Site Work
- Mathematics: Craft 1
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Mechanics for Construction; An Introduction
- Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction
- Civil Engineering Project
- Construction Technology: Groundworks and Substructure
- Construction Project Management: An Introduction
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Mathematics for Construction Technicians
- In addition to this and across both years pupils will work towards an SVQ Level 3 unit in Construction Contracting Operations to give vocational experience.
- work placement is essential for completion of SVQ
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- Grade A-C in both National 5 Maths and National 5 Physics.
- Applicants must be studying Higher Maths in S5.
- Applicants must have an interest in a career in Civil Engineering.
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at college.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Civil Engineer or similar role within construction industry
- progress to college on an HNC or to university