This course is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the visual communication industry allowing you to develop the knowledge and skills to start out as a freelance illustrator or to advance to a degree level course. You will gain industry-relevant skills in specialised illustration areas such as editorial (magazines and newspapers), design, advertising and book publishing. Our aim is to promote your individual creativity, develop your artwork and prepare you for working in the industry. The course will also give a number of opportunities to exhibit your artwork. The 2nd year Diploma Show and Tour is a rewarding way to display the best of your work to industry professionals.
You will be taught by experienced illustrators who bring their knowledge of the industry to the course. There will also be options to undertake client-led live projects brief set by professionals from the creative industry as well as taking part in national Design and Illustration competitions. This is all invaluable practical experience to prepare you to work as a professional illustrator. Throughout the course, you will also develop a range of vocational and transferable skills which are highly sought after in today’s competitive job market. You will also be well prepared to progress onto degree level art and design courses.
The course has a dedicated Facebook page. If you’d like to see some of our students’ work or simply look at things that inspire us please follow the link here:https://www.facebook.com/Illustration-etc-198374469220/
Here is a link to our ‘moving image’ videos:https://vimeo.com/illustrationetcvids
And a link to some of our graduates who are now working in the industry:https://www.pinterest.co.uk/illustrationetc
- Visual communication skills and knowledge
- Project work based on specialised illustration areas: editorial (magazines and newspapers), design, advertising, moving image and book publishing
- Drawing skills
- Design, typography and layout Skills
- Presentation skills
- Preparing and organising work and meeting deadlines
- Portfolio production
- Producing self-promotion and marketing materials
- Transferrable core skills
How Course Is Assessed:
- This is a practical studio-based course. It is continually assessed throughout the year.
- Year 1: minimum of 2 Highers or relevant Btec or UAL level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year 2: pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level Visual Communication
- You should have a good understanding of the creative process evident within your portfolio and wish to specialise to develop a career in this area of Design.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Candidates should show good drawing skills and an understanding of the creative process. If possible your portfolio and your sketchbooks should show project work from research, through a development phase and on to final artwork. Candidates should show a range of creative work that they have undertaken which could be from other creative disciplines as well as from an Illustrative route.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Freelance Illustration
- Working within a Design or Advertising agency
Download our progression route map here
- Degree level study within the field of Visual Communications
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >