This course will provide you with a practical knowledge of computer systems and networks. In Year 1 you will develop a solid foundation in advanced Microsoft Client and Server operating systems using the latest software to ensure you are qualified and ready for the workplace.
It is an in-depth course which will provide you with detailed tuition in preparation for Microsoft Certifications (MCP/MCSA/ MCITP) and CompTIA Certifications (A+ Net+). In the A+ Hardware Technicians you will cover the building and operation of PCs with the possibility of options such as Server+ or Security+ being made available. In Year 2 the course is based around the CISCO Network Academy, a course which many professionals will return to education to complete.
You will develop an essential understanding of Networking for Home and Networking for Small Business, or ISP Introducing Routing and Switching in the Enterprise, and Designing and Supporting Computer Networks. You will even be able to gain professional certificates in CCNA v4.0 or CCENT.
You may study your 2nd year at a different campus depending on availability of places. This is the perfect course to prepare you for further studies in computer systems and networks. It is sufficiently in-depth to qualify you to progress degree-level studies in Year 3.
- Computer Networking technologies
- Basic software development
- Computer hardware and software fundamentals
- Client operating systems
- Professionalism and ethics
How Course Is Assessed:
- Mostly practical assessments with some multiple choice tests and written assignments
Number of Days per week:
- Three C passes at Higher, one must be in a numerate subject such as Computing and Maths or a Science
- Two Highers may be considered if the subjects are Science, Maths or Computing based and are at a grade higher than a C
- An SCQF level 6 pass in a relevant subject such as Computing
- If you are a mature student then we will take current or previous skills and experience into account
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you may be asked to attend a screening exercise to assess your skills and there will be course information provided by a lecturer from the course
- Enter the 2nd or 3rd year of general Computing degrees such as Year 3 of BSc (Hons) Computer Systems and Networks at Edinburgh Napier University
Progression RoutesDownload our progression route map here
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...