This course offers you an exciting opportunity to study various technologies and techniques used in the video games industry. You will learn about the full process of video games development from planning and design right through to project management. You will cover a wide range of development techniques including 2D and 3D animation using Flash and 3D Studio Max programming and games design theory. The majority of your assessments on the course will be through working on realistic projects. As you progress you will build an online portfolio of work - essential for your employment in the industry. The course will allow you to access degree-level studies in games development in Year 3.
- Computing: Planning
- Game Technology
- Structured Programming for Games
- Working Within A Project Team
- Project Management for IT
- 2D Animation
- 3D Level Editing
- User Interface Design
- Introductory Mathematics for Computing
- Digital Imaging: Bitmap and Vector
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- Games Development: Object Oriented Programming
- Game Customisation and Scripting
- Software Development: Developing for the World Wide Web
- Software Development: Abstract Data Structures
How Course Is Assessed:
- Practical work and some tests. Graded units for both years are a practical game based project.
Number of Days per week:
- When applying for Year 1 a minimum 2 Highers (which must be numerate subjects such as a combination of Maths, Computing or Physics) at Grades A-C. Or relevant SCQF level 6 course pass and National 5 maths
- If you are a mature applicant then relevant experience will be taken in to account.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- You should bring along any qualification certificates you have to interview and if possible a game you have created or some software development programs you have written. You may be asked to perform a screening exercise to assess your skill level. Course information will be provided by the lecturer who teaches on the course.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Employment in the computer games industry
Download our progression route map here
- Access to the second or third year of various university degree courses such as at Edinburgh Napier University for entry into Year 3 of BSc (Hons) Games Development
Brad Lovejoy studied HND Computing at Edinburgh College after leaving school. He was then successful enough to be accepted into 3rd Year on the BEng Computer Systems and Networks course at Edinburgh Napier University. From there he secured a job working for Hutchinson Networks as a Junior Network Engineer. Since starting work, he has been involved in many jobs such as LAN upgrades, hardware refreshes, site surveys, wireless surveys, project management, configurations, remote support and much more.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >